Configuring ACPI to do useful things?

I'm using FC2 on my laptop, and ACPI appears to be working, but the default installation doesn't configure it to do anything interesting. /etc/acpi/events only contains a script to shut it down when I press the power button, and that works fine, but I want it to turn off the screen if it's idle for a period of time, or suspend the laptop if it's idle for a longer period or if the lid is closed.

Is there any simple way to install more ACPI functionality? An rpm that will add more /etc/acpi scripts, for example? Or is there any way to configure power management behavior through the Gnome front-end?

Also, how can I get a battery level indicator to appear in the panel?