Re: FC-2 Add/Remove Applications rant ...

On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:37:21 -0400
"Shaun T. Erickson" <ste@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > You did an 'apt-get update' before trying to install, right?
>
> Oops. Nope.

It happens =)

> > Assuming you did, your repositories might still be misconfigured or
> > missing. Try the'apt-cache policy' command to see if synaptic is
> > found.
>
> [root@dhcppc5 root]# apt-get upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.

Watch out: you just did an _upgrade_, not an _update_. Try 'apt-get'
with no args and you will see:

~ apt-get
apt 0.5.15cnc6 for linux i386 compiled on Mar 22 2004 21:35:44
Usage: apt-get [options] command
       apt-get [options] install|remove pkg1 [pkg2 ...]
       apt-get [options] source pkg1 [pkg2 ...]

apt-get is a simple command line interface for downloading and
installing packages. The most frequently used commands are update
and install.

Commands:
   update - Retrieve new lists of packages
   upgrade - Perform an upgrade
[snip]

This means you have to bring apt's package list up-to-date with 'update'
command _before_ trying any other action (otherwise you will be out of
sync with repos).

Short version: run 'apt-get update' _before_ 'apt-get upgrade' ;)

[snip]
> > Suggestion: if you install apt-get from Dag Wieers' repo, it comes
> > with many useful repos pre-configured, each on its own .list config
> > file on/etc/apt/sources.list.d dir.
>
> I downloaded it from the link in the wiki, whereever that was. I'll
> see if I can find the one you mention.

Sorry, should have mentioned it on my previous msg:

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

HTH

Andre

--