Re: using libmilter, milter-spamc and spamassasin

Scot L. Harris wrote:
I setup a spamuser that missed messages can be bounced to.  (NOTE:  you
want to use your clients bounce option not forward.  Forwarding a
message changes the headers by putting your address in as the from.  If
you teach it that your address generates spam you will have more
problems.  By bouncing the message the headers should be retained and
you can teach spamassassin to correctly identify those as spam.)

hmm... good idea, but how does one bounce a missed spam to that account with outlook ? I think that's not even possible with moz ? My scenario: RHEL server with the accounts; several windoze/outlook users who POP3 the accounts

In my case I also divert any spam to that dummy user via procmail. This
allows someone to review the tagged messages just in case there was a
false positive.

I've installed openwebmail.org so the users can review their spam themselfs (all spam is directed to ~/mail/SPAM and this is moved once a week to SPAM2 -> SPAM3 -> dropped), so moving the spam to a general account is easy. This also has a very nice side-effect. Users have to log in to openwebmail at least once to activate spam removal - the ~/mail/ directory is created. If they don't log in, spam is just tagged and delivered.

I read some notes on the spamassassin.org site about fully automating
this process but I have not done that. In theory you could have an
account that when a message is sent to it you would run sa-learn on the
message automatically. You would have one for spam and one for ham. That way your end users could send missed spam and have it added to the
database as well as send a ham message that might have been flagged
incorrectly.

I did not trust that process nor do I trust users that far. <GRIN>

Same here *g* ;-)

All in all it has worked far above my expectations.  If everyone used it
the spammers would be out of buisness IMHO.

How true!

Thanks a lot!!!
Hannes.