Re: Can't play DVD's

I know you can tell mplayer do play from /dev/dvd OR from a mounted dvd, so a few more details like what program you are trying to run would be helpful. When I get home after class and work tonight I'll tell you exactly how I do it on my gentoo box at home (currently none of the redhat or fedora boxes at work have dvd drives, but the next group to get assimulated will have dvd burners)

Thanks,
William
Student Worker - Linux
Chemistry Department
The Ohio State University

Adam Antoniak wrote:
I encountered a strange problem. Didn't have any problems with dvd drive
using fedora 1. If I recall correctly the only thing I had to do was
running 'ln -s /dev/cdrom dev/dvd' as root. With fedora 2 I don't see
/dev/dvd at all. At the same time hardware browser returns seems to be
aware of the fact that one of my optical drives is a dvd. Whenever I
insert dvd disk into drive it gets automatically mounted as a regular CD.
I don't thing it used to work this way in FC1. Regular discs were mounted
but dvd's were not.
Could somebody give me some hints. Maybe it's a simple question as I'm a
newbie, but I feel I got stucked.

Adam