Re: SFTP slow

Reaaly slow means 5-6 minutes to move an 4 MB file from one computer to the other...
I used t o do it before and it used to take few seconds...
Computer are two Athlon XP 1600+/XP 2000

Power is more than enough...

I guess is some network configuration that gives us problem. I'll try to change all the settings on both the computers...
Any idea to debug the problem?

In the meanwhile.. I'll have a look at the processor time as you suggest.

Thanks
Alessandro

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 17:53 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
Alessandro De Maria wrote:
> Basically, I'm experiencing a problem while moving files with sftp (via
> the gnome-vfs module).
> Everything is REEEALLY slow, which makes the coolest way to quickly move
> files from my 2 computers stressfully unusable :-(
>
> actually it's really slow also using ssh itself :-(

How slow is "REEEALLY slow"? What sort of speed are you getting in MB/s?

How fast are these computers?

I'm guessing that the cryptography needed at both ends is the limiting
factor. If you're not using SSH or SSL when downloading from the
Internet, then you won't see the cryptography overhead.

Can you keep an eye on top on both computers while you do a download, and
see where the processor spends most of its time?

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "SCSI is *NOT* magic.  There are fundamental
westexe.demon.co.uk    | technical reasons why it is necessary to sacrifice

--
Alessandro De Maria <alledm@xxxxxxxxx>