Re: Dvd xine and copy rights.

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 08:51, john brennan-sardou wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>                          Being a "decent" guy I have just paid thirty
> dollars in order to watch a Dvd on my computer. It is the only dvd in
> the house. Well, the problem is that in xine which normally works well,
> the film stops after two minutes because it is copy protected. This is
> not normal, and not very legal. I have paid the money for the film and I
> can't see it!!!!!. Anyway of getting around this problem. No cheating
> here the film is called "Lagaan" and the buying proof is  773375. I
> would just like to see my film. Yours John Brennan-Sardou

John,

I assume from your e-mail address that you are a citizen of France. As
such, all I can do is apologize on behalf of my countrymen for the
monument to corporate greed and legislative stupidity that is the
Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

If you were an American citizen I would advise you to write to your
Congressional representative and ask him/her to sponsor and support HR
107, the Digital Media Consumer's Rights Act.

Freedom isn't free (to coin a phrase). Anyone who feels strongly enough
about this and other electronic rights issues should join and support
the Electronic Freedom Foundation at http://www.eff.org/.

You may be interested to know that in a recent interview, Jack Valente,
president of the Motion Picture Association of America said he can't
believe there isn't a CSS-licensed DVD player for Linux. (There is, and
there isn't: http://www-tech.mit.edu/V124/N20/ValentiIntervie.20f.html.)

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov