KDE apps and running as root

I have an interesting problem. Couldn't find it in Bugzilla characterized in this way.

When I run Kmail it always crashes after a couple of seconds being opened with a Signal 11. In Kmail, Konqueror and Kopete, the icons in the toolbar don't show.

HOWEVER, if I run all three apps from terminal in *root*, everything works perfectly. Kmail opens up and won't crash. All the icons in the toolsbar show. So, on install, something probably happened with the permissions, I'm thinking. However, I've done straight installs, so I'm wondering if FC2 is settings something incorrectly with KDE apps.

Thoughts or ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks,
Rory