RHGB issues (was What is "rhgb" on the grub, kernel line?)

Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> The graphical boot screen opens a text window and you're presented with
> the actual boot messages if any service fails to start. Successful boot
> messages
> are hidden and the user sees a pretty startup screen.  Failed boot
> messages are already displayed as expected so the user can take whatever
> action is necessary to correct the failure.
>
> At least this is the default behavior of my FC1 system.  I can't imagine
> that FC2 behaves any differently.

It does still behave in this way, but only for messages after the initial
runlevel is entered, not for rc.sysinit. The rc.sysinit messages still
appear on vt1. This means that if a fsck is in progress, the boot appears
to have frozen - which often people report as a failed boot.

I wish they'd sort it out so that all the boot messages appear in the same
place (I'd be happy for them all to stay on vt1, then instead of the "view
details" button, it can say "Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 for details")

While we're at it, X still starts twice, once for rhgb, then again for the
login screen. This adds 10-15 seconds to my startup time. With firstboot,
however, the rhgb X session remains open and firstboot reuses it. This is
really nice, so why can't a similar thing happen for an everyday boot?

Jonathan