Re: Problem with SCSI drive order

On Thursday 27 May 2004 23:45, Dan Haines wrote:
>Hi list
>
>I have a problem.  (who doesnt, right?)
>
>I have a cluster setup, high availability, using clumanager.  I also
>have external RAID configured on these two machines.
>
>Originally, when I upgraded to FC2, the RAID came up as /dev/sda,
> and the internal hdd came up as /dev/sdb.  With that not being
> desirable, I made a change to the initrd, using this command:
>
>mkinitrd -f -v --preload=aic79xx /boot/initrd-2.6.5-1.358custom.img
>2.6.5-1.358custom
>
>The preloaded scsi driver, is the one controlling the internal
> drive.
>
>This change, made the internal drive become /dev/sda again, and the
> RAID /dev/sdb, like I want it.
>
>Now, Ive just installed a 146gb SCSI disk into one of the servers,
> and after a reboot (I could see no way to make FC2 pick up the SCSI
> drive without rebooting) its picked up the 146gb new SCSI disk as
> /dev/sda, moved the original internal SCSI disk to /dev/sdb, and
> moved the RAID to /dev/sdc.
>
>Preferably, I would like this:
>
>/dev/sda 	= Internal SCSI disk
>/dev/sdb	= external RAID
>/dev/sdc	= the new SCSI disk ive just added
>
>I need /dev/sdb to be the RAID, as Im using RAWDEVICES to allocate
> some common drive space, for the cluster software to run.  These
> RAWDEVICES are /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2 (on RAID)..
>
>Please, can anyone offer me some assistance, or a way to force the
> new SCSI disk ive just added, to become /dev/sdc?
>
>TIA!!!!
>
>Dan
No idea if it would work, but since the scsi stuff is usually assigned
according to the order of discovery during the bus scan, you might
try make the device you want as sda use a scsi buss address of 0, the
device to want to be sdb set at address 1, and the new drive at
address 2.

All this is of course just so much noise if you have more than 1
interface because that will have priority over bus addresses.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)