Re: rsyncing 79gb of data to 250gb drive

I recommended to Michael Mansour:
> You can also use
> cd /data01
> for i in * ; do du -sk "$i" "/data02/$i" ; done | more

Michael replied:
> Ok, I've tried this and the following is the result:
>
> [root@server data01]# for i in * ; do du -sk "$i"
> "/data02/$i" ; done |more
> 4       lost+found
> 12      /data02/lost+found
> 79596252        Software
> 123557857       /data02/Software
>
> Which seems to again confirm that the directories are
> exact copies of one another (which is what rsync is
> meant to do), but again with much different sizes.

Well, in that case, you could always try
cd /data01/Software
for i in * ; do du -sk "$i" "/data02/Software/$i" ; done | more
to see which of the directories inside Software have increased in size.

Then you can try similar drill-downs.

This will show you, basically, whether it's only part of the contents
which have increased requirements (in which case, you look more
closely at that data), or whether the storage requirements for
everything has increased (in which case, there's probably something
odd about one or other filesystem).

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | Today Has Been Two Of Those Days.
westexe.demon.co.uk    | -- Mike Andrews