Re: FC 2 and smb mounts

Scot L. Harris wrote:

Paul R. Ganci wrote:

Alejandro Flores wrote:

I'm having problems when mounting an smb share. The command goes well
(mount -t smbfs -o username=me,password=passofme,uid=myuid,gid=mygid
//server/myhome /home/user/myhome) but when I try to list the contents
of the directory it hangs up. I looked in /var/log/messages and I got
this

I just had the same thing occur:

May 22 08:57:11 mcduff kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
<snip>

This problem disappeared after I did a reboot when attempting to fix some unrelated issue. I have no idea why, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Same problem here.  Setup an smb mount point.  At first it appeared to
work as expected.  I had full access to the share.  Then it stopped
working.  Not sure what changed.  Have rebooted a few times but no
change in the problem.  The mount appears to execute correctly but when
I try to ls the directory it hangs.  At that point it is impossible to
kill the ls process or umount the share.

Well I thought this problem went away, but after running the system over the weekend I found that this problem is intermittent. Sometimes the mount works maybe for several hours and then wham ... Other times the problem occurs immediately after doing the mount. I found that only a reboot fixes the problem. Monday I downloaded samba-3.0.4-2 from samba.org and installed it and so far have not experienced this problem. I have been connected to the samba share for over 24 hours now with no ill effects. This is a first since I upgraded from FC1 to FC2. Hopefully I haven't spoken too soon as I did last time I thought the problem went away.

--
Paul (ganci@xxxxxxxxxx)