Re: feedback to NVidia [was: Nvidia Drivers]

Frank Tanner III wrote:
--- Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 16:37 -0700, Frank Tanner III
wrote:

You have your beliefs and I have mine. And mine

is

that people deserve to try to make a living off of
their code, hardware, service they provide.

Do not invert roles here, mister.

*You* said they have a right to make money, and *I*
said they have a
right to try to make money.

The *REASON* their driver is proprietary and has
"black box" components is SIMPLE.  There are
proprietary pieces of code in the video card

itself.

These drivers need to access these pieces of code.

The drivers would have enough information in them

deduce exactly what the code in the card is doing.

So, in effect, they would be, in effect, "giving

away"

their proprietaty card stored on the video card
itself.

This is bullshit. The reason, stated so by NVIDIA a few times, seems to be related to software patents.

choice.  Me?  I will use their cards, and their
drivers, because I like their products.

Do you like MACROVISION? I hope you do, because you get it, wether you like it or not.

Rui

I guess that's the difference between you and I.  I
don't attempt to pirate video using my NVidia card, so
Macrovision protection doesn't matter to me.

Gentlemen, can you please take this outside--perhaps to Usenet or some chat room somewhere where they enjoy flamewars? It simply isn't appropriate for this forum and I'm rather tired of having to scroll past all of the invective and diatribes being spouted on this thread.

Either drop it or continue it OFF LIST.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -