Re: Howto: Direct rendering with your ATI Radeon and FC2

Gabriel Labelle wrote:
I simply hope this will help somehow, it worked for me with my ATI
Radeon 9600 Pro on the Fedora Core 2 :)

I saw these on fedoraforum.org as well - thanks! They do work (worked for my 9700 Pro). However I have a few suggestions in order to simplify the process. Note the changes below:

5. Back up your current /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

Not a bad idea.

6. You now need to configure X :

sudo fglrxconfig

Also a good idea.

7. Perform these last steps :

cd /etc/X11/
sudo ln -sf XF86Config-4 xorg.conf
cd /etc/X11/xkb/rules
sudo ln -sf xorg xfree86
sudo ln -sf xorg.lst xfree86.lst
sudo ln -sf xorg.xml xfree86.xml

This part is all unnecessary, and actually encourages regressing to a previous version. Instead, this is what I chose to do:

7.

cd /etc/X11
edit XF86Config-4

Copy the Device section for the ATI Graphics Card (probably 50-60 lines total).

Paste it into xorg.conf below the existing Device section for Videocard0 that defines "radeon" as the driver. It would be useful to keep that section in case you need to fall back.

In the Screen section within xorg.conf, comment out the device line for Videocard0, and create a new line that says:

Device	"ATI Graphics Card"

(or whatever matches the device section you just copied into the file).

Make sure the other sections/modules per the ATI readme exist (i.e. dri, glxcore, DRI permissions, etc.). This is also a good time to copy any DRI permission changes you may have chosen from the XF86Config-4 file (from Section "DRI").

I then move XF86Config-4 to XF86Config-4.ati to keep as a reference, but to prevent xorg from using the wrong file.

This method prevents the user from needing to create backward-compatible symlinks for the problematic xfree86 references within the older style file.

Hopefully the next version of fglrxconfig will take this into consideration with an updated template for x.org.

8: Voilà, you can restart X and enjoy direct rendering ! ;)

$ glxinfo |grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

Same results for me using the above method. However, I keep the forward-compatible config and get the ATI specified settings to boot. :)

Either way works, so it's a matter of preference.

Enjoy!
-Rick
--
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.