Re: CPU running half speed on ThinkPad with FC2

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Steven Garrity wrote:

I'm running FC2 on a 2GHz ThinkPad T30 (more info at: http://www.fedora.us/wiki/ThinkPadT30).

"cat /proc/cpuinfo" gives me the following:

model name      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
cpu MHz         : 1199.154

The "cpu MHz" is always 1199.54, regardless of whether I'm running on AC power or battery, and even though it's a 2MHz processor.

I understand that "speedstep" processors can run at a lower clock speed to conserve power. However, I would have thought that it would run at max speed when not on battery power. Also, the system feels noticeably slower overall vs. FC1.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,
Steven Garrity

Well P4-Moble also supports speedstep. The Default speedstep policy is enforced by the daemon /etc/init.d/cpuspeed. You can run a cpu intensive job - and see the 'cpu MHz' jump back to 2GHz gradually.

try running

/usr/sbin/cpuspeed --help

The default behavior can be changed by modifying /etc/cpuspeed.conf
(or switching off the service)

I haven't explored all the options completely - so my knowledge on
this is limited. (I'd like to know the option which gets rid of all
the intermediate freq stages)

Satish