RE: Dovecot and Evolution [RESOLVED]

fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:28:37PM -0400, Don Levey wrote:
>> I managed to upgrade my mail server from RH9 to FC2 by the seat of my
>> pants (involving, amongst other things, a hung boot process in RH9
>> that just made me decide to go ahead and do it on the main drive,
>> but that's another long story).
>>
>> I've now installed dovecot, since the uw-imap and uw-ipop3 are now
>> gone.  I've got it up and running, and it seems to work, but there's
>> an interaction problem with Evolution (1.4.6).  I've got the
>> following in the dovecot.conf file:

> As I mentioned in my addendum, rebooting the server did not solve
> the problem. Interestingly, however, I am able to SEND mail but not
> RECEIVE. It does appear that I can get access to the user's mailbox
> by logging on to the server itself as root and the su-ing to the
> user's account (I can't login to the account at the login prompt;
> it simply refuses my username/password combination).  What have I
> screwed up?
>
>  -Don

I believe I've got it figured out.
Dovecot was not starting properly, but dying immediately.
I finally thought to check the maillog (I had previously looked at just
about any other log I could find) and made my way through a number of
errors.  There were permission problems on user directories (which worked
just fine before), as well as auth method problems relating to digest-md5
and pam.  It now seems that Evolution *may* have been a red herring; the
timing was co-incident.  It may, however, have done something to my
directory permissions, which is why only that one user (currently using
Evolution) had the problem.

In the "It would have been nice" department:
I had imapd and ipop3d running previously.  I understand that these were
moved out, and dovecot/cyrus were included instead.  But my old packages
were moved out of the way and NOT replaced.  Dovecot was not even installed
on my machine after the upgrade - I had to go and find it.  It would have
been nice if, instead of simply breaking my imap/pop access, the new package
was installed and configured using similar options to the previous packages.

 -Don