Re: help: boot is stuck

Marc Mouriès wrote:
Hi,
i tried to set up Fedora core 1 and core 2.
With both versions i have to run the set up with "linux nofb"
with both versions the set up ran well but when i reboot the boot is stuck.
When i reboot with the interactive mode I can see the boot is stuck after
"Enabling swap space" OK.
Is there anything i can do ?

You may want to download the rescue ISO. Once it is on a CD, boot with it. I think "linux single" at the boot prompt may be usful. Once you are at a shell prompt, cd into the /var/log directory. Look at the last 20 to 40 lines of the messages log file. You may want to report 'em here .

If you are pushing the speed on the processor with the ASUS motherboard, then run in a certified speed. Marginal chips can fail when pushed. Take FC IS0 1 and boot with the memtest86 option. I accidently was pushing a memory chip once and didn't realize it. I used the memtest86 stand alone disc to help find the problem. Once I swapped memory between two computers, the computer worked flawlessly.

I am speculating that the installer is using less memory and working while a normal boot after install is using memory that could have problems. Viewing the logs using the rescue disk may help you sort out your problems.

Greg Morgan

My config is:
- Motherboard: ASUS P4PE
- Processor: Pentiun 4 2.4