usbcore module

 Hi I just installed core 2, tried to get my speedtouch usb-modem working, and got a fatal error at the 'modprobe usbcore'
command. I can't find any info on the module in the current install. I tried just commenting the call out, in case it, or the
functionality, was there by default, but that made the boot-up hang..

 Any suggestions where to look next? apart from a modem upgrade...

   Jim Deakin