Re: dual boot : fed1 and fed2 no go

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 23:07, Jim Cornette wrote:
> john brennan-sardou wrote:
>
> > hello,     I try to be a cautious guy so before installing fedora 2 on
> > test and killing off fed 1 I decided to put it on my second disk and
> > have a dual boot. Well, I got grubbed. No surprise I suppose. Here is
> > the grub.conf
> > #boot=/dev/hda
> > default=1
> > timeout=10
> > splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
> >    root (hd1,0)
> >    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
> >    initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
> > title fedcore
> >    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> >    chainloader +1
> > When I boot into the old fed core one this is the message :
> >  "  Error 13 Invalid or unsupported executable format "
> > The name fedcore as you  can see is the first primary disk and fed 2
> > is on the second. I know I should be reading the forty-five page doc
> > on my desk but I would feel better disposed to grub if I could get out
> > of this quick.My first disk is full of work material.  I have already
> > tried the LBA bios change on the mail list but  no joy. Thanks a lot
> > John Brennan-Sardou
> >

> Before installing FC2 on the second drive, you might have needed to
> install grub into your boot partition before rebooting. Then when FC2
> was installed on the secondary drive, the entries should have worked.
>
> When you installed FC1, it probably installed the boot loader into mbr.
> Now with FC2 installed, it overwrote the early stages of grub.
>
> To repair the boot loader after the install in in the current state, you
> can do one of the following things to correct the booting into FC! problem.
>
> 1) install the first disk of FC2 or the rescue CD. Boot system. Fedora
> should be able to detect both installations. Choose the installation
> with FC1 installed. Once in the shell for FC1 type the below.
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> This should give you the FC1 environment. Now you need to type the below
> information.
> grub-install /dev/hda1
> This should install grub into /dev/hda1 and leave alone the mbr
> installation that FC2 put  onto your system.
>
> 2) Alternatively, you can mount the volume that contains FC1's boot
> partition. Then with a editor you can open an editor by pointing it to
> the /fc1boot/grub/grub.conf file. You then need to open up
> /boot/grub/grub.conf file for FC2.
> What you want to do is to copy the boot options for your FC1 grub.conf
> file and paste it into your FC2 grub.conf file. This will allow you to
> boot into FC1 with a reboot, but will force you to repeat this procedure
> for each kernel update. There should not be many kernel updates, so you
> should not need to do this frequently.
> With method 1, FC1 should take care of FC1's boot loader with any kernel
> upgrades. FC2 will take care of FC2's boot loader, but leave the
> [...]
I just literally in the last 10 minutes put FC2 on a separate
partition.  Works fine except I had to manually add the grub.conf data
from FC1.

Worked well if you need copy the FC1 stuff (like below in the FC2
grub.conf file.

title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2188.nptl)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl ro root=LABEL=/1 hdc=ide-scsi
vga=0x31a
        initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl.img

 --
jludwig <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx>