ATAPI / DMA Errors and lockup

I get 3-5 second freezes every now and then (thank god they arent too
frequent).  Here is some info from /var/log/messages...

localhost kernel: hdc: status error: status=0xd8 { Busy }
localhost kernel: hdc: status error: error=0x04Aborted Command
localhost kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
localhost kernel: hdc: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
localhost kernel: hdc: request sense failure: error=0x04Aborted Command

Now I dont know weather dma is disabled on boot for this hard drive, but
all other drives have dma enabled.  I turn dma on for hdc because thats
my dvd player.  Not sure weather this error is turning off dma, at one
point I thought I saw something in messages about this.  Life is hard
when you watch dvd's without dma...slowness.

Here is output from /proc/ide/hdc/model & /proc/ide/hdc/settings

Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-120S

name                    value           min             max             mode
----                    -----           ---             ---             ----
current_speed           66              0               70              rw
dsc_overlap             1               0               1               rw
ide-scsi                0               0               1               rw
init_speed              12              0               70              rw
io_32bit                0               0               3               rw
keepsettings            0               0               1               rw
nice1                   1               0               1               rw
number                  2               0               3               rw
pio_mode                write-only      0               255             w
unmaskirq               0               0               1               rw
using_dma               0               0               1               rw

Google search says possibility of driver errors due to via (which is
what chipset i've got on the mobo).  Also says to disable dma, but I
dont believe this has an effect.  Most of this on google is unresolved.
 Any ideas?  Ill do a dmesg from kernel startup if necissary.  Thanks.

--
Paul Cassell
pmcassel@xxxxxxxx