Re: Booting in interactive mode

Matthew Miller wrote:

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:05:16AM -0500, Marc Mouries wrote:

I am stuck at the boot at the "Checking new hardware" message
and would like to boot in interactive mode.
Is it possible to specify to boot in interactive mode
in the boot command line argument ?

Not sure if you can do that from the kernel command line. But you can hit I
right as the init scripts start to go. Alternately, you can boot into single
user mode (the command-line argument of '1') and then run '/sbin/chkconfig
kudzu off' to disable the program which does the new hardware check.

There was an earlier thread that said to append "prompt=yes" to the boot line to get this to always use interactive. I have never tried it and did not find the exact thread. (I am also relying on memory for the exact phrase, but it appears to be correct)

Also, you can look at /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and in the area where it has:

if [ "$PROMPT" != "no" ]; then
echo -en $"\t\tPress 'I' to enter interactive startup."
echo
sleep 1
fi

you can change the "sleep 1" to some other value like 5 or 10 to allow more time for pressing the key (this default is 1 second).