Re: Boot hangs on "Probing new hardware" [firewire ... maybe]

Marc Mouriès wrote:

 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Smith" <brads@xxxxxxxxxx>
 To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 8:07 PM Subject: Re: Boot hangs on
 "Probing new hardware" [SOLVED]

> A better solution would probably have been to run the command: > > chkconfig kudzu off > > This will simply prevent kudzu from running without having to > rename the file.

of course but I did not know this command. I am new to linux.

 Beware, though, this will prevent plug-and-play from working

> unless you manually run kudzu after booting. Even then, you'll
> eventually have to figure out what was causing kudzu to hang and
> fix it.

Do you know how to figure out what is causing kudzu to hang and fix it ?

I had a failing USB card reader causing me a lockup during "Checking Hardware". I guess this is rare to have bad usb based hardware. Anyway, some device on your usb buss might be causing kudzu to lockup.

A more common problem reported with locking up at "checking hardware" is related to a problem with firewire. I'm not sure of solutions, but if you go to http://bugzilla.redhat.com - you should find a lot of reports and workarounds to the firewire problem.

At least you went to runlevel 1 to "disable" the service. Kudzu is started in levels 3,4 and 5 normally.

With my similar problem, I went into runlevel 1 and ran "chkconfig --level 3 off" - This still left runlevel 5 with kudzu enabled. I since "disabled" my card reader. (Unplugged it and waiting to trash it later)

Jim

> --Brad > > On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 15:37, Marc Mouriès wrote: > >> To solve this problem i booted in single mode and renamed the >> file

 "kudzu".

>> Hoppe this helps someone later.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Marc
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Mouries"
>> <marc@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: "For users of Fedora Core releases"
>> <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 2:46 PM
>> Subject: Boot hangs on "Probing new hardware"
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I succeed to setup FC2 but i reboot the system hangs while
>>> "Probing

 new

>>> hardware".
>>>
>>> Any idea how to skip the probing ?

-- Your love life will be... interesting.