Re: accents are not recognised in open office

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:16:38PM +0200, Marc Mouriès wrote:
>  I have a non-US keyboard. (French). I can type accent in a terminal
> but accents are not recognised in open office ? How come ? How to fix it ?
Ah, the pains of locale- and keyboard-settings =) (especially when
combined with the transition to UTF-8, xorg and XIM vs terminal + other
funny stuff).

First I would run `system-config-language' and `system-config-keyboard'
and double-check that everything was correct. The FC2 openoffice build
is tightly integrated with Gnome, so if accented chars is working OK in
Gnome apps, they should be working OK in OpenOffice, I'm guessing. So
run the gnome keyboard setup program as well:
`gnome-keyboard-properties'. Check the 'Language-settings' part of the
OpenOffice options, while you're at it. The Dead-keys are working
correctly here, in OpenOffice, Norwegian locale+keyboard. I can input
all sorts of accented thingies in oo like: èéáû.

Wouldn't hurt to check you keyboard setup in
/etc/X11/{xorg.conf,XF86Config} either.

As a last resort run: gnome-character-map and cut-n-paste till your
mouse runs hot, or pull out a piece of paper and a pencil, and pretend
you live back in the days when computers didn't bother anyone. Eh.. OK.
Hope some of this rambling helps, at least.

Øyvind

--
< Øyvind Stegard <oyvinst@xxxxxxxxxx>
 < University of Oslo, Dept. of informatics