Re: vox audio recording

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 03:07:45PM -0400, Michael Gargiullo wrote:

> I'm looking for a program that will record audio from 'line in', but
> only record when there is something other then silence. Prefferably
> saving each instance as an mp3 with a time and date stamp.
>
> I'm trying to record a radio frequency, but only want to save the actual
> communications, and not tons of dead air.

Start with /usr/bin/record, (xawtv-3.88-6)
It does not do mp3 but the -l and -L flag might help.

   -l     Enable level triggered recording (console mode  only)  with  the
              default trigger level (1000).

       -L level
              Enable  level  triggered  recording  with  the specified trigger
              level.

       If level triggered recording is active,  record  will  start  and  stop
       recording  depending on the signal strength.  Recording will be started
       if the signal strength is above the trigger level (1000/32768 => around
       3%).   Recording  will  be  stopped  if the signal is below the trigger
       level for some time (1.5 seconds by  default,  the  -p  switch  changes
       this).

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l