Re: FC2 & dual boot.. problem still there :(

Cormac Long wrote:
Folks,
I can confirm that the official FC2 does indeed have the same problem as previously reported with the test releases.

[snip]

On the recovery front, I booted from Knoppix as it has native NTFS enabled and was able to mount the existing windows NTFS partition.. its still there and seems intact.. so I was able to copy off files and FTP to another machine etc in prep for a new Windows install.. trouble is that I think if I do a clean install of Windows and then a linux rescue to restore grub, that the problem will still be there... I'll end up unable to boot the XP partition.

So it was a downer!.. and I realise that windows is bad and evil.. but I need to to have dual boots and I'm sure that many others out there are also in this boat.

I use bootpart: http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm and the xp bootloader to boot linux and xp.

If you leave grub in /boot and use bootpart to grab the first 512 bytes of /boot and edit boot.ini on xp (which bootpart does automatically) you can boot either OS with no problems.

Hope this helps

Chris