Re: system users with dot in the name

Does it work if you double quote the user name.

The POSIX standard allows dot characters in usernames if I remember correctly.

At one time I had written a patch and sent it to RH to comply with the dot in
usernames. I believe my reasoning was the POSIX standard.

I believe fileutils is now part of coreutils, I will look to see what may be involved in
writing a new patch.

Nicolas wrote:

Hi to all,
i would like to create users with dot in the name.. for example mydomain.com
adduser doesn't permit this but it permitted in the redhat8.. How can i do
this?

Best
Nic