Re: Why Would Fedora be Free ? Can it be Trusted?

Roger:

1) a small point of netiquette: please don't respond to the list with
 short, non-informative messages such as "thanks for the reply", or
 "interesting point".  They don't add anything to the discussion and
 only serve to increase the already heavy volume of the list and make
 it more tedious to slog through the archives.

2) regarding "I am looking at using Fedora at my work and some people
 are asking...", I don't know if you mean only for your personal use
 or if you're pushing to convert others in your office to it, but I
 find it hard to understand how you could be an effective advocate
 if you apparently hadn't ever even looked at the fedora web site!
 But good luck with that ... you will probably find that, as with
 most things involving politics and/or religion (and there's a little
 of both in this debate ;-), most people will either love or hate the
 idea, and most of those (on either side) will not have logical or
 well-thought-out reasons why.

3) I'm surprised no one's brought up the beer/liberty dichotomy of the
 term "free" (well, one person did alude to the GPL).  If I understand
 your use of the term, you mean "free" in the monetary sense, as do
 the people who are asking you these questions.  This is the beer
 sense of the word, as in "free beer".  At some level, NOTHING is
 free in the "free beer" sense.  True, Fedora Core (and many other
 Linux distros) are available to be downloaded gratis, or can be had
 for at most a paltry fee, but they are not truly without expense -
 if you're using it, you have to put time and effort (even if no
 actual money) into learning it and maintaning it, and at some point
 you may find you need to pay somebody to do some of that for you.
 With commercial software you pay a fee (often a recurring fee,
 either for maintenence contracts or upgrades), but you generally
 get support from the vendor (at least ostensibly).  People can
 argue till they're blue in the face about whether commercial
 software is more expensive overall than non-commercial, but the
 difference in the expense arena is not as huge as most make it
 out to be.

 The real difference lies in the OTHER sense of "free", liberty.
 As others have already mentioned, very few commercial software
 vendors will allow you to see, let alone tinker with, the internals
 of their software, or if they do they probably charge you a lot of
 money for the priviledge and/or make you sign an NDA which prohibits
 you from allowing others outside your organization to see or use
 your modifications (unless you pay them even more money).  With free
 (in the "liberty" sense) software, you have not only the choice but
 the right to do these things, and THAT is the real "selling" point
 of free software, at least in my mind.  For a more thorough (and
 probably cogent) treatment of this topic, refer to Richard
 Stallman's treatises at www.fsf.org.

 Also note that non-gratis versions of Linux (such as RedHat) are
 still free in the "liberty" sense.  People often confusedly think
 that the GPL requires you to give things away gratis.  This is
 absolutely untrue (otherwise, companies like RedHat couldn't be
 in business).  What the GPL DOES require is that (a) IF you give
 (or sell) someone else a program that you have modified (or written
 yourself) that is covered by the GPL, then you MUST also make the
 source available to them, and (b) you can't stop them from doing
 any of the things that the GPL gave you the right to do.  And yes,
 in theory this means that if you sell a GPL'd program to one person,
 that person can turn around and give it away to everybody in the
 world, and you won't get another cent.  In practice this doesn't
 happen, because (a) people don't generally give away things that
 they paid for, and (b) hardly anyone is selling JUST the code,
 what they're REALLY charging for is support.

-g

            |   Greg Forte           gforte@xxxxxxxx   |
            |   IT - User Services      302-831-1982   |
            |   University of Delaware    Newark, DE   |