Re: Change to character mode?

Edward wrote:

Robert A wrote:

I have a Red Hat Fedora installation that was setup with the incorrect
screen resolution.
My ATI Mach64 (whoohoo) card is easily capable of 1024x768.
I made the mistake (?) of selecting a Generic screen of that resolution.
The GUI login screen comes up as an incomprehensible fluttering screen as
though the horizontal hold was way, way off!

I tried CTRL-X to go to character mode to no avail -
I'm currently at the Linux rescue prompt to try to figure out how to change
the resolution to 800x600, or force the system to boot into character.

Ctrl-X? Where'd you get that one from?

To stop an X session - it's Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will not work to go to text if booted to runlevel 5.

Ctrl-Alt-F2 will work.

I know you can type "linux single" at the rescue prompt to go into single user mode. You could then fix up the XFree config file from there.

Regards,
Ed.