Re: hosts file

Jay Daniels wrote:

I purchased a domain and setup a roundrobin service to host my DSN.

Since X would not start because the dns has not propagated yet, I put
my FQDN in /etc/hosts

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.2.1             darkforce.darkforceteam.net darkforce
192.168.2.12            darkstar.darkforceteam.net darkstar

Something tells me that perhaps I have something incorrect? I have
two interface and am masquerading as darkforce.darkforceteam.net with
a static ip on eth0. The eth1 is my localnet.

1. If you want the hosts to be available on the internet, the IP address must be set to the internet IP.
The domain must also be managed by DNS, and you will need a DNS server

Should I have pointed my FQDN to my static ip or the 192.168...?

As it is, everything works even though my ip doesn't resolve yet.  But
is this correct?

There was a tool in RH 9 to set the hostname, I cannot find this tool
in Fedora??? so I edited /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts by
hand.

redhat-network-config, or from the menu -- start - system settings - network

I want to be able to access this host by name http://darkforce/ from
the localnet even if the network is down.

I am also clueless as to what to put in redhat-config-httpd?  I want
the default to be www. but my machine is named darkforce.domain...
How do I add ssh.domain.net ftp.domain.net etc to my hosts file?

You will need to set httpd.conf to point to the hostname/IP

You will also need your DNS to define www and ftp as hostnames for the internet IP

Searched google but everybodies hosts file seems to be setup
differently.

What else do I need to do to get apache working and add virtual host
like testsite.mydomain.net?

jay