Re: NFS with firewall

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 07:58, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 09:35:05PM -0400, Stuart Lowe wrote:
> > STATD_PORT=32765
> > STATD_OUTGOING_PORT=32766
> >
> > then after restarting my machine rcpinfo -p gives:
> >
> > 100024    1   udp  32765  status
> > 100024    1   tcp  32765  status
> >
> > It appears that if I attempt to specify ports, STATD_OUTGOING_PORT gets
> > "ignored".
>
> Why do you say that? rpcinfo gives you the services available and at what
> ports they're listening for requests. In your case, it shows the service
> listening at port 32765, the one you requested.
>
> Regards,
> Luciano Rocha

So rpcinfo will not show ports that are specified for outgoing requests,
then?

If no ports are specified at all, then in the case of statd, it looks
like two different ports are being assigned (by portmapper I assume) to
listen for requests - one for tcp and one for udp.   Is this a correct
statement?

I was just looking for a way to confirm my setting of STATD_PORT and
STATD_OUTGOING_PORT and got all bothered when I couldn't see
STATD_OUTGOING_PORT with rcpinfo.  If I'm setting up a firewall that is
only dealing with incoming, then maybe I shouldn't be worried about
setting STATD_OUTGOING_PORT eh?

Regards,

Stu.