Re: Tool for recovering data from crashed HD

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 06:19:42PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> I've got a HD which seems to have problems.
> ( I can't boot from it)
>
> I would like to know what tools are available to actually
> perform some kind of data recovery or something.
>
> Currently, I'm just booting into a copy of Knoppix and then mounting
> the HD and copying (what can be copied) off the drive to another network
> location.
>
> Sometimes it works. sometimes it just hangs at scp.
>
> Pointers??

I think you can create an iso or hard drive image to save the data if
you can read the hd then mount the iso.

dd if=/dev/hd3 of=hd.iso  #if hd3 is the hd drive
mkdir /mnt/iso
mount -o loop -t iso9660 hd.iso /mnt/iso
cd /mnt/iso && ls -la

Of course that doesn't answer why you can't boot, but if the hd is
failing, you may be able to save the data.  Did you mean you can't
boot from it or you can't mount or access it?  What boot errors do you
get?

jay