Re: Command-line mail program that can send mail FROM multiple accounts?

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> It would appear that on May 1, Aaron Matteson did say:
>
> > Preston Crawford became daring and sent these 0.6K bytes,
> > > My wife has a couple different domain names and consequently a couple
> > > different maildrops. I'm thinking of setting up an SSH server, fetchmail
> > > and a command line mail program so she can check/send email remotely
> > > from these multiple accounts. Is there a program that can handle this?
> > > Pine wants to do <username>@whatever-domain-you-put-in-the-config.com.
> > > I'd like her to be able to choose the from address, kind of like you can
> > > in Evolution, Outlook, and other gui email programs. Any ideas?
>
> > In my opinion Mutt is the best solution. Easy to set this up within its
> > config for multiple boxes.
>
> Pardon my intrusion Aaron. But I'm curious...
>
> Normally I'm a pine user who hasn't yet bothered with "Roles" which is
> supposed to be able to do what the OP wanted. But what I've read about
> pines roles says that currently it not only can change the "From:"
> address, based on selected role, but can even change which SMTP server to
> send the reply with...
>
> What I'd like to know, is can Mutt's multiple mailbox config set
> different SMTP's for each box?

I've hunted arround for a couple of days trying to figure this out
about mutt (I was contemplating on switching - as everyone appears to
claim mutt is so great)..

The only text I managed to find is something like: "Mutt is not an MTA
- use a proper one!"  i.e sendmail/postifx.

So one needs to configure these ones - and I couldn't easily figure
out how to setup these guys with contex base relay-host-hops (with
smtp auth). In a way - the MTA programs are proper SMTP protocol
implemnetations - and there is no requirement of multiple relays or
smtp-auth stuff (except that spam/other filters on the remote site
might encorce these rules) So I gave up and stuck it out with pine..

I could be wrong - I hope other mutt users can enlight me as well, on
this one.

Satish