Re: FC1 and Belkin OmniView 4-port switch (Bob Hartung)

On Mon, 3 May 2004 14:34:52 +1000
amsm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few months back, I tried a Belkin 4-port "SOHO" KVM switch in my then setup
> of RH 7.3 firewall/gateway machine, RH9 workstation (mostly running X) and
> Win2K box.
>
> I found that whenever I switched out to the RH7 or Win2k machines, on return
> to the RH9 machine, the mouse was uncontrollable.  Apparently it's a known
> issue with Belkin switches and X.  I tried the various suggestions I found
> on the net for making sure all machines used the same protocols etc, but
> nothing helped.
>
> I could retain some control if I did a mouse reset each time, but that defeats
> the purpose.
>
> I ditched it and used a Comsol, which works brilliantly.  Well....I brought
> the belkin in to work and swapped the Comsol out...it was only ever used
> for text-consoles anyway, so why not ?  ;-)
>
> I didn't have the hassles with the video quality or anything, is was just
> a demented mouse problem.
>
> I wouldn't touch Belkin gear again with a 10-foot pole.
>

> jdow wrote:
>
> >From: "Karl Hakmiller" <karlh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >

> >>I came across a Belkin switch (OmniView) at CompUSA that permits running
> >>

> >up to four computers using a single monitor, keyboard, mouse and
> >speaker-set. It sounds like a great space saver - I have an XP Home and
> an
> >FC1 machine taking up most of the table space in my study - and it would
> be
> >great to get rid of one of the monitors and such.
> >

> >>But, I'm wondering if any listers have used this switch with a linux
> >>

> >machine before I buy it. I don't mind set-up problems if they can be
> >overcome with a little patience and work but I've been burned a couple of
> >times lately with hardware having installation software which is only
> >written for Windows machines.
> >
> >I have an 8 port Onmiview. It's video quality is so low and support
> >from Belkin so wretched I tend to urge people to avoid Belkin like
> >poison.
> >
> >A brand new unit oscillated on the video for certain brightness transitions.
> >I arranged a replacement from Belkin. I received a VERY used unit that was
> >in worse shape than the one I had. I subsequently took the original one
> >apart, found something that rectified most of the problem, and am still
> >limping along with it. The video still has unsatisfactory levels of video
> >ringing. I will not be purchasing Belkin again for a VERY long time.
> >
> >{^_^} Joanne Dow said that.

I'm persuaded.  The Belkin is out and the Avocent is the winnah!  For those who want to check out the Avocent prices, the home is at:

http://www.comsol.com.au/proddetail.asp?l2=30

Thanks for your advice.

--
Karl L