Status of FireWire/IEEE1394/SBP2 in FC2?

Hi Folks,

I'm still running RHL9 here, but since it EOLed on Friday I need to
consider what to move to. One reason I didn't upgrade to FC1 was the
reported problems with FireWire/IEEE1394/SBP2 (I believe that FC1
shipped without FireWire enabled, and in order to use it you had to roll
your own modules, but I may be misremembering).

I see from Fedora News Updates #10
(http://www.fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/issue10.shtml) under "Fedora Core 2
test2 notes" that:

        "ieee1394 (Firewire) is not available in current kernels, and
        till its re-enabled, making the modules by yourself might be
        required (reference:
        http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-March/msg02482.html). If it's causing you grief, remove its reference in /etc/modprobe.conf and rebuild your image (reference: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-April/msg00111.html)."

Is this still the case in FC2t3? Is it likely to also be the case for
the final release of FC3?

I really need FireWire working here, and having to roll my own modules
every time an errata kernel is released sounds like a PITA.

Naturally, this may well be a non-Fedora-specific issue, and so I may
have this problem with whatever 2.6 based distro I choose to upgrade to,
but I would like to know whether FireWire is going to be supported in
FC2 or not.

TIA, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com