RE: Network troubleshooting, any experts?

Wednesday, April 28, 2004 2:04 PM Elam Daly asked:
> At this particular company we have a webserver, that sits behind a
> firewall/router.  All incoming port 80
> traffic is directed to this server.  All computers in the
> company reside
> internally on 123.123.123.* ip addresses.
> All DNS resolution is done externally.

How did you get the 123.123.123/24 address space assigned to your
network?

According to IANA:

<start clip>
INTERNET PROTOCOL V4 ADDRESS SPACE

(last updated 28 April 2004)

The allocation of Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) address space to
various registries is listed here. Originally, all the IPv4 address
spaces was managed directly by the IANA. Later parts of the address
space were allocated to various other registries to manage for
particular purposes or regional areas of the world.  RFC 1466 [RFC1466]
documents most of these allocations.

Address
Block   Date     Registry - Purpose                  Notes or Reference
-----   ------   ---------------------------         ------------------
000/8   Sep 81   IANA - Reserved
001/8   Sep 81   IANA - Reserved
002/8   Sep 81   IANA - Reserved
003/8   May 94   General Electric Company
122/8   Sep 81   IANA - Reserved
123/8   Sep 81   IANA - Reserved
124/8   Sep 81   IANA - Reserved
125/8   Sep 81   IANA - Reserved
126/8   Sep 81   IANA - Reserved
127/8   Sep 81   IANA - Reserved                     See [RFC3330]
<end clip>

The 123 address space is clearly a reserved Class A Address.

Are you using NAT? I sincerely hope so. But if so, then why not use one
of the private address spaces? If not, you're lucky you're getting any
traffic back at all.

> Now the problem is that all computers on the network can browse the
> internet and do various chores like
> telnet and ssh with no problem, except for the web server.  I
> can ssh,
> telnet etc. to other computers on the internal network
> from the web server but not to the outside world.

For the rest of your network, see above.

For your web server, the question of NAT applies but is compounded by
issues regarding the way your ISP is forwarding the web traffic in their
router.

> I have no firewall running, and just to be sure I've flushed the
> iptables and ran the /etc/rc3.d/iptables script with the
> -stop flag. I've also talked to the isp( it's their router )
> and they claim that if
> all the other computers can get web access then so should
> the webserver.

Now, I have seen cases where ISPs will limit outgoing connections from
known, world accessable servers connected to their network, over which
they have no direct security control. But in this case, I have a gut
feeling that another 123.123.123.240 exists somewhere out there (someone
else using a reserved address) and some of your traffic is just getting
lost. The general purpose router protocols are supposed to keep this
sort of thing from happening, but when unassignigned addresses are added
into the mix, unpredictable things can start popping up (or dropping out
as the case may be.)

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
303-246-9555