Re: Connecting to Microsoft VPN

Am Fr, den 30.04.2004 schrieb Brian Sawert um 17:20:
> I'm running FC1 on an old Thinkpad 600. It's been wonderful, even as I've
> slugged it out getting the MWave modem and quirky soundcard to work. But
> now I think I'm really stuck.
>
> I'm trying to connect to a Microsoft VPN at work. I think that PPTP is the
> way to go, but I lack the basic knowledge for setting it up as a client.
> Has anybody done this, or have some ideas of what to try?

install the new pppd
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pptpclient/ppp-2.4.2_cvs_20030610-1.i386.rpm

install the kernelmodule: if you have an i686 kernel you are lucky,
there's are rpms available:
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/mppe/kernel-mppe-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl.i686.rpm
or
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/mppe/kernel-mppe-2.4.22-1.2188.nptlsmp.i686.rpm

If you have athlon or a custom kernel download the source
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/poptop/kernelmod-0.7.1.tar.gz?download

(or 0.8.0 which is brand new), unpack & change into the new folder

$ export CC=gcc32
$ ./kernelmod.sh

(You need to have kernelsources installed. You will need them anyway,
for the module bsd_comp.o is missing in the fedora kernel (WHY??). So
you have turn bsd-compression off or rebuild the module for your kernel,
at least that's what I did.)

Optional: Download & install
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pptpclient/pptp-php-gtk-20030505-rc1.i386.rpm
to configure your pptp connections via System Settings -> More System
Settinges -> PPTP Client.

Otherwise you will have to set the otions in the config files. For more
Info see:
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-fedora.phtml

Although I write down all this very quickly and it really looks easy,
let me say this: I found OpenVPN more easy to setup than any of the
Microsoft solutions (pptp or l2tp, I'm working on that right now).

> Thanks!

You are welcome.

Christoph