Re: Qos/TrafficShaping(on Shorewall) Howto available for Web-viewing

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

Hey.. Since you're the ISP.. May I ask you a question?

Say I'm with ISP X, and I'm subscribed to their 384/128k package.
They say it's best effort. I want to know, how do they Cap the connection
to the said 384k.

What sort of trafficshaping etc do they do? TCP Window shaping?
Packet dropping?? ACKs??

I'm not the one you asked, but what the heck....

The group I work for isn't your typical ISP (state funded educational network), but most of our clients connect with T1 or similar. We use Cisco gear, and limit bandwidth with class based policies in most cases, and "old fasioned" rate limits in others.

Basically, define the limit and, where applicable, define special traffic to get priority (H.323) and stamp/pass that, drop what exceeds the limit (very simplified explanation). Since we don't do much in the way of DSL, I am not sure how that equipment is configured to limit traffic.

Tim