From: Alexander Dalloz [mailto:alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 12:46 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: RE: disk problems or false alarm??

Am Fr, den 30.04.2004 schrieb Guolin Cheng um 21:01:

> Hi, jludwig,
>
>  Thanks for your helpful information.
>
>  Because I'm running Linux, so I assume there are no viruses. Then comes
> several questions:
>
> 1, How can I know whether all the spare sectors are in use and the disk
> will lose data, or it is just the beginning of disk failure?
>
> 2, How I can identify that the hard drive becomes dying at the first
> minute?

Use the drive sanity check tool by the drive manufacturer. Hitachi/IBM,
Maxtor, WD, they all have such a tool.

> 3, How to identify the malfunctioning hard drives? Should I idle the
> machine and test hard drives one by one to figure it out? Mostly it is
> the faiure-reporting hard drive failed, but I remember for sure, in a
> few cases, other alternative hard drives failed instead.

hda = master on primary controller
hdb = slave on primary controller
hdc = master on secondary controller

> 4, Should I replace hard drives when I first see this kind of disk error
> messages in case data begin to lose?

First check its state with a tool and other facts like cables. Very old
hard drives can only have problems with DMA. You may use hdparm to check
drive's setup.

>  Thanks a LOT...
>
> Guolin Cheng

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 21:41:36 up 3 days, 20:30, load average: 0.45, 0.64, 0.66
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]