RE: htaccess files and apache

If those virtual hosts are in subdirectories of the main, then that is
working properly. If I remember correctly, if AllowOverride is enabled,
apache will check every directory in your web for the presence of an
.htaccess file. Their precidence is heirchial. If the a directory does not
have an .htaccess file, it inherits the settings from the .htaccess in it's
parent directory.

I believe that is how it works. I'm sure someone here can correct me if I'm
wrong.

Generally, setting directory permissions directly in the httpd.conf is
prefered, that way apache doesn't have to pause and check each directory for
an .htaccess file, and you will get a little better performance.