Re: Sendmail and masq

>> Accessible to the internet is a Fedora Cora 1 machine running
sendmail for
>> a particular domain.  So, it has a MX record for that domain.
>>
>> Inside our firewall I have a Red Hat 7.3 machine that runs sendmail
locally
>> that has access out of the firewall on port 25.

>Does that now mean the RH 7.3 Sendmail host is protected by the
firewall
>settings, so that from outside your net connections on port 25 will
go
>direct to the Fedora host running Sendmail? Or does the RH 7.3
Sendmail
>can directly talk to other MTAs outside your net? I suspect former,
but
>am not sure.

The former is true.  Realistically, the 7.3 host never gets incoming
mail, just outgoing.  And it speaks directly to the MTA on each host.

http://people.freenet.de/slgig/cfreadme_en/masquerading_relaying.html.
> So as root's mail is not masqueraded coming from the RH 7.3 host. I
> suspect that all other user address are masqueraded with the other
> domain.

I don't use root except for admin tasks.  LogWatch comes from root
however.  Thats how I noticed the issue.

> What I do not understand because lack of information is: why do the
mail
> from Sendmail on RH 7.3 does get to the Sendmail on FC1? I suspect
> because either it is addressed to a user address on the FC1 machine
or
> because on RH 7.3 you defined the FC1 Sendmail to be the SMART_HOST
> (either in sendmail.mc or in mailertable). So the question is then
> where the email is addressed, whether for a recpient on the FC1 host
or
> to outside.

Mail gets to the FC1 via emailing the local using, not by SMART_HOST.
So, it is address to a user on the FC1 host, not outside.

> Suspecting the sendmail.mc being for the Fedora Sendmail host, you
did
> not set up any other things like genericstable? I suspect you leaved
the

> LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl

>untouched in sendmail.mc. It would explain some guesses.

Yes this is true.  The exposed_user and local_domain have not be
touched on the FC1 machine.  The sendmail.mc included was from the FC1
machine.

> Your original reason for mailing, was that a problem or just
wondering?
> If you have a Sendmail setup difficulty I fear you have to be more
> precise again about what you want and what's not working as
expected.

> Alexander

The original reason what I thought this was a problem, but it makes
sense now.  All the masq'ing is from the root account.  Thanks for the
help.

Dave