Re: Start again on the newbie's networking problem. Re: Need help (of course) setting up network

Around 05:14am on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 (UK time), Rodolfo J. Paiz scrawled:

> and origin. This is, for example, how "Denial of Service" (DoS) attacks are
> performed... hack 1,000 innocent bystanders, then use their machines to
> attack your target while *never* showing your face directly. And, of
> course, the innocent bystanders get blacklisted, banned, and sometimes
> prosecuted. As if that weren't enough, some hackers use networks to spread

Have you a cite for the prosecution of someone who was hacked into?
While I agree with you that protection is very important regardless of
the value of any data on the PC, and that unprotected PCs have often
been used for DoS attacks, I would have thought that claiming people
have been prosecuted is scaremongering.  As ever, I could well be wrong
'though.

Cheers

Steve

--