Re: converting user to linux

Jay Daniels said:
> my wife has expereinced microsoft windows trouble.  mainly, virus and
> trojan problems and the free avg program doesn't help resolve or
> remove these virus'

my mother had the same problem with her dell computer under xp.

> what do you think, do i stand a chance to convert her to Linux or am i
> wasting my time?  she basically uses the laptop as a desktop pc to read
> mail via a webmail service, surf the net, purchase online,
> save family photos to cdr, and print stuff.  she would use X almost
> entirely with the mouse under a normal user account.  she also has no
> interest in learning unix/linux commands or the shell.  has anyone tried
> to convert someone to Linux, how did it go?

i'm probably going to get smacked for this, but i say ''absolutely go for
it''.

i converted my mother from xp to fc1, here's the difference.
(machine is a p4 1.8ghz with 256mb ram)

under xp
slow and sluggish, behaves more like her old pIII 500 with 128mb of ram
crashes at least once every two hours
i was spending hours upon hours admin'ing it when i visited
my brother was downloading and installing porn dialers

under fedora
quick as anything for her
she leaves it up for days on end without issue
i could update it from hundreds of miles away without issue
the only time i spent on it when i visited was doing my own things

honestly, once you install the flash plugin and the xmms mp3 plugin,
they'll be happy as clams.

also, check out my apt/synaptic walkthrough, there are tons of games she
may like via fedora.us

http://www.linuxadvocate.net/apt

from there you can easily install flash and everything.  also, download
and install the xmms-mp3 plugin from www.freshrpms.net and she'll be
happy.

also, i gave my writer friend a celeron 900 with fedora 1, he's happy as
anything, the only thing that bugged him was having to use wine to install
his spanish program.

does anyone know of a spanish program for linux?

-d

-+(duncan brown
-+(duncanbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-+(http://www.linuxadvocate.net

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy
evidence of the fact.
                -- George Eliot