How do I fix problems after apt-get.

Last week I did a "apt-get dist-update" and 'upgraded' my fedora core 1 after installing atrpm. After fighting with my machine for a couple hours, I discovered that the reason X would not allow me to log in was, that gnome and gdk were fuxored somehow. After I switched to KDE, I could login. Mozilla mail was fuxored as well, so I downloaded the src rpm for 1.6 then built and installed it.

The new version of KDE is pretty and kewl. :-)

I have fiddled about and got KDE working satisfactorily, so it is not imperative that I get Gnome working, but I would like it.

I have one unsolved problem. Remote desktop is not allowing me to send control characters. The app I was using under gnome to launch the remote desktop is different, but I am not sure what it was called. Since wine kept getting broken I have resorted to running terminal services on a Win2K box so I could run FileMaker Pro. It still works, but with out the ability to send control characters, it is very difficult to use.

Should some of the repositories defined in the atrpm-config sources.conf be disabled, and/or should others be added.

I guess I shouldn't have walked on the wild side and should have stuck with up2date and manually installing non standard packages.