Re: First fedora install attempt fails

On Sunday 25 April 2004 11:48, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 06:34:32AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Using k3b in the auto burn mode, I made disks of the 4 iso's of
>> FC2-test2.  The auto burn mode chose DAO.  Disk 1 was not
>> bootable. But I could mount it and read it just fine.
>
>There is a known problem with Disk 1 of FC2-test2.  The common work
>around was to boot with Disk 1 of FC2-test1 and switch.
>
>Since FC2-test3 is expected any day now, you have the choice of
>downloading and burning the older FC2-test1 disk or jumping on
>FC2-test3 as soon as it is soup.  The goal in the schedule for test3
>is early this week:
>
>    http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/
>
>I would recommend FC2-test3.  If you load FC2-test2 expect to do
> some serious archive surfing to make it through the various
> transitions that the testers helped each other through as you
> update.  I expect FC2-test3 to be in good shape....
>
>Bandwidth for the download of the iso images will be in great demand
>so use a mirror or bittorrent:
>
>    http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
>    http://fedora.redhat.com/download/
>    http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/      <-- note the Fedora RPM
> package for bittorrent

I can wait a few I guess, at least konquerer is running. Will test3
have the advansys driver available?  Not much good if its not there,
and the installer won't go on by it.

AFAIAC I can add the driver later as the only thing on the scsi bus is
my tape drive, and the installer really should not waste a buck
calling somebody who cares.  Its an accessory, and one I SHOULD have
the ability to bypass if its not available at boot time.

In the back of my mind, I've been trying to envision all the steps it
would take to make my own boot.iso, basicly by copying that disk off
to a scratch dir on the HD, and replaceing the vmlinuz with the
current one, and the initrd with something that works here.  Unforch,
I've NDI howto make an initrd, never having made one in the last 6
years of running linux, I either built it in, or used modules.

But at this rate, I'm gonna have to hit someplace that peddles cdr's,
my last 100 stack is down to about half an inch high now...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)