Re: XF86Config Errors

Austin Isler wrote:

I recently was given a computer to "mess" around with. I went to install Fedora Core 1 on it
and I chose the GUI install option. My ViewSonic PF790 went into sleep mode and
showed me nothing. So I decided to install in text mode, once I had Fedora installed I went to
load up in runlevel 5 and again monitor went into sleep mode. So I rebooted in runlevel 3 and
used lynx to google around. I found out that the video card in the box is a S3 Savage card,
and there has been some issues with that and XFree86. I researched some more and found
that if I changed my vsync and hsync in XF86Config, that my help. So I changed it to a setting they gave on the site and ran startx. X started but in 840x680, bleh.
What I want is to get it loaded in 1024x768, but I dont know the correct vsync and hsync to do this. I have changed it several time from suggestions I saw on the net, but no go. Anyone have any idea what im doing wrong and can you please help me?

Austin Isler

I had the same problem with my video card(nvidia tnt2) and monitor (some old gateway crystalscan). The only thing that solved it for me was installing redhat 9 and then updating to fedora core 1. Even when I selected the correct video card and monitor settings I had problems when I just installed Fedora core 1 but if I updated from redhat 9 which properly detected all my settings it worked fine.

Good luck
chunk