php imagepng problems

I send again this message, since I'm not sure it is arrived to the list yesterday.
A month ago I moved the site of my school from a Win2k server to a Linux-Fedora server.

The site was already hosted by Apache, PhP e MySQL and there was no problem in the change.
Some pages use GD graphics and the imagepng function; imagepng was also used by a graphic counter I realized time ago.
Everything worked fine under Linux Fedora too, but a few days ago the graphics crashed suddenly; in the browser (Mozilla or IE just the same) you see only the red cross: image error.
(if I call directly the php script, Mozilla says: The image " .... file.php?Pagina=6" cannot be displayed because it contains errors.)
I made some debugging and surely guilty it is the function imagepng (or imagejpeg, it's just the same); strangest of all, imagepng works perfectly when sending output on a file, e.g.

        imagepng($im, 'figura.png');

but crashes when sending image to the browser (stdout):

        imagepng($im);

Until now every try to correct the problem failed. Maybe a problem of writing rights?

But why the problem arose suddenly? In the last days I only changed some DNS and MySQL configuration, apparently nothing to do with graphics.
I'm not even sure wheter it is a PhP, Apache or Linux problem.

        Any idea?

Regards

Paolo Bonavoglia
Teacher of mathematics and computer science
Liceo Foscarini [Foscarini High School] - Venice, Italy

Webmaster  http://www.liceofoscarini.it/
E-Mail paolo.bonavoglia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        paolo_bonavoglia@xxxxxxxxxxx