FC1 x86_64 issues

I've just put together my first Opteron systems (dual Opteron 248
processors, Tyan S2882 motherboard, 4GB RAM, small disk on PATA
controller, no SATA use at all).  The installation went smoothly but
I'm having some troubles.  I've done some bugzilla but haven't really
turned up anything that matches.

Firstly, the kernel is unstable under heavy IO.  When a new machine
here comes up, it pulls over a gigabyte of data down over the network
and writes it to a cache partition.  The machine will always oops and
hang with ext3 and lvm showing up in the traces, both with the 2174
and update 2188 kernels.  I am trying to set up a serial console to
get a full trace.  Has anyone seen this problem before?  When the
machine is not doing this massive IO it seems to be stable.

Also, I'm seeing weird issues with libraries.  For example, I have a
binary dynamically linked against libncurses.so.5, which I know is in
/usr/lib64.  But the binary won't run, and ldd shows that
libncurses.so.5 can't find it.  Using LD_DEBUG=all I see that
/usr/lib64 isn't in the default system search path.  Looking further I
see that glibc both for i686 and x86_64 are installed, with the x86_64
version being installed last.  Unfortunately I don't yet understand
the issues surrounding libraries on x86_64.  Can anyone give me any
pointers?

(What I'd really like to do is run Matlab.  I know it's not supported
but I was hoping that it would work to some degree.  Unfortunately it
has the above library problem, not being able to find libX11.)

Thanks,

 - J<