Re: Major help needed with desktop (to Mike)

Mac wrote:

I did a whereis on the Xclient and found, what, 50 or
so.  You are talking to a real Linux novice since I've
only been using it a couple of weeks.  You used the
terms 'move out of the way' and I don't know which of
the files to move where so they would be out of the
way.

I'm really bumbling here.

Edward (Mac)

Step 1: Press CTRL+ALT+F1. You should see a text based login prompt.
Step 2: Log in as yourself
Step 3: Type: rm .Xclients .Xclients-default
Step 4: Press CTRL+ALT+F7
Step 5: Press CTRL+ALT+Backspace. This will kill your X-windows session, and bring you back to a graphical login prompt
Step 6: Log in. You should be back to gnome.

Note, step 3 could also be:
switchdesk GNOME

which will inform you that to return to the system defaults, you should remove the /home/<user>/.Xclients file.

HTH...

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -