Re: Dual-Boot/XP Crash

Gary Waters wrote:
Greetings,

I changed my motherboard, CPU, and Videocard. I previously posted my
intentions and queried as to whether or not Fedora would survive the
transition, which it did....with flying colors. However, windows XP did
NOT. I'm now looking to repair or reinstall XP so my daughter won't
drive me nuts over not being able to play her games.

Could somebody point me to a FAQ on how to do this and restore grub? The
man pages are somewhat vague. I really don't want to lose this fedora
installation. I spent a lot of time fine-tuning it. I did some googling
on the matter, but I would feel much more secure with whatever
suggestions this list has to offer. Thanks.

Gary

If Windows overwrites your MBR you can fix it fairly easily. Boot from the FC1 CD in rescue mode. This mounts your root partition at /mnt/sysimage, so run
# chroot /mnt/sysimage
to make it the root filesystem. Then run

# grub-install /dev/hda
(this assumes that GRUB is to be installed in the MBR of the primary master disk, if not you'll need a different command).

As to fixing XP, that's another issue and one which doesn't really belong here. The only advice which should appear in this list for fixing XP is to run mke2fs /dev/hda1 which will cure all problems with XP (but I won't because that wouldn't be nice). Basically, you need to boot into safe mode and delete all devices related to the changed hardware - graphics card, IDE, USB etc. Then reboot and let XP detect the new hardware. Make sure you backup any XP files you need to keep as this process doesn't always work, changing the MB sometimes requires a re-installation of XP.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555