Re: Kernel Question for Anti-Virus

Chalonec Roger wrote:
Alexander,

Chuckle, chuckle... Not trying to be obscure at all and I do appreciate
your great assistance.  For one thing I am simply not exactly sure what I
need to protect against and for another, I sometimes have difficulty
making the jump from Windowseese to Ferdoraeese.  To complicate matters,
I am not server person at all be it Windows, Solaris, or Fedora, I am a
data communications person (routers, bridges, gateways, bits, ones and
zeros).  Never the less, I have been asked to set up an FTP server and
thought this would be a great opportunity to show my server colleagues
what can be done without using Microsoft or Solaris.  I think that Linux
has its place and want to demonstrate it.  The proof would be an
operational service with the idea that if a non-server person can do it
then the server experts surely can.  When I finish this server it will be
turned over to our Unix server experts, and hopefully with the Gnome GUI
our Microsoft server folks would also be able to run the se! rvers, learn
from them, and consider Linux where it makes sense.  I know this is a
long message but I think other organization may be experiencing the same
problems in trying to get Linux accepted into the data center and
elsewhere.  Anyway, I am only running an FTP server and want to protect
against any viruses that might affect the Fedora server itself and any
that might affect my windows clients once they download the files from
the FTP server.

I will definitely look at the link and thanks again

Roger

I have Sophos AV installed here (that's simply because the Uni has a license so it didn't cost me anything). It's running on the mail server which at the moment is RH9, but may be updated to Fedora once I consider it stable enough.

Email is handled by Exim and Exiscan which can run Sophos sweep on the mail during reception. Sophos sweep can also scan entire filesystems for viruses and report, quarantine or disinfect, so for an FTP server this might be of use.

No idea what the cost might be, though, as it's paid for centrally.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555