Re: pp scanner

Am Mi, den 21.04.2004 schrieb Florian Idelberger um 13:47:

> Actually I found this site, but at present I'm not in the mood and don't
> even have the time to build the module from source, especially as it
> needs all kinds of headers and stuff. Perhaps you could tell me, how to
> figure out if my parallel port is working, and at best, where I can get
> this module as abinary release. btw, why isn't it included with sane?
> Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm quite busy right now, but I
> need the scanner.
> Florian

Use a parallel port printer to check your parallel port if you think it may not usable.
Any reason why you have doubts?

I do not think the backends kernel module driver is available in
compiled format anywhere, as long no one from this list will do it for
you. I could do for latest kernel, but to be frank, I feel not urged to
do so. I have an older SCSI scanner and am happy with it the few times I
make use of it.
You will not find the driver in compiled form because it has to exactly
fit the kernel source. You can not load any compiled binary.
The reason why it is not shipped with Fedora is in my opinion because
parallel port scanner are fairly out of time. They are slow as hell and
have a a scanning quality which was common years ago.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 20:29:34 up 3 days, 3:15, load average: 0.02, 0.20, 0.28
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]